Cycling has taken quite a bashing this year so I thought it would be fun to get the VeloVoices crew as well as some of the people we’ve met and followed to give us their top ten wishes for the 2013 season. We’ll start with … me!
I am Kitty Fondue and I am a founding member of VeloVoices. My favourite races are the spring Classics, I love Fabian Cancellara to distraction, I have the regular Tuesday column of Tweets of the Week and I’m always on the lookout for photographers to profile for our Friday Features. I also do a lot of the live-tweeting of races on the weekends, where I try to commentate with humour and only a little bias but I tend to show my true colours at the end of races when I’m cheering someone onto the finish. Here are my wishes:
1. That the Classics season is one knock-down, drag-out fight after another between Tom Boonen and Fabian Cancellara. And that they each win (and lose) with style and grace.
2. That the final nocturnal stage of the Tour de France in Paris is as fantastic as I imagine it to be and that VeloVoices has its own corner with tons of Twitter friends cheering the peloton on!
3. That Peter Sagan does his Incredible Hulk impersonation as he takes the Champs-Elysees sprint with bike lengths to spare!
4. That things are changed within the sport so we can be confident of clean, honest wins.
5. That people can express a like and dislike for whatever riders they want without being flamed on Twitter. And that people finally realise that using the c-word is not the way to win an argument or influence people. It’s not big and it’s not clever – it just makes you look stupid. And you know what? It’s just a bike race – there’s no need to eviscerate people for a difference of opinion.
6. That Bradley Wiggins says something and actually sticks to it, as opposed to saying the opposite the next day, crying “misquote!” or changing his mind three or four times in the course of a week. All this back and forth is just bullshit.
7. That Marco Pinotti wins the World Championships time trial in Florence. And that Fabian Cancellara wins the road race.
9. That I get my picture taken with Greg Henderson and Adam Hansen – two of my faves!
10. That Panache gets a job in London so I can have lunch with him whenever the mood strikes and we can have regular VeloVoices meetings with all members in attendance!