This is a hard stage to write about. What should have been a joyous stage review discussing the boringness of the first sprint stage of the Tour de France, the lovely chateaux of Brittany, and fitted-sheet videos turned into a nightmarish finish filled with one horrendous crash after another. Before we get into that discussion, allow us to celebrate Tim Merlier (Alpecin-Fenix) for winning his first-ever Tour de France stage in his debut at the event! Mathieu van der Poel keeps yellow for another day.
It’s a full table at VeloVoices Towers as Kathi, Midge, Luke, Issie and Euan get together to discuss the opening weekend of the Tour de France
- Julian Alaphilippe gets allllllll the attention he deserves
- Mathieu Van Der Poel makes our hearts sing
- What can be done to avoid first week crashes?
- Why Ineos need to think about sunglasses more
- And the most amazing breakaway possible