Who would have thought that, at the start of Stage 16 of Vuelta 2019, Jakob Fuglsang still hadn’t won an individual stage in a grand tour!?! Seems absolutely unbelievable, but it was true. However, it’s not true any more. On the second day in the quite simply stunning Asturian mountains, the mist rolled in as the Astana rider made his decisive attack on his fellow breakers with 7km to go. Shrugging off Gianluca Brambilla (Trek) and never letting Tao Geoghegan Hart (Ineos) within 15sec of his back wheel, Fuglsang rode to the summit of the Alto de la Cubilla as the fog got thicker to take his very first individual grand tour stage. There were cheers all round!
Kathi, Midge and Euan look back on the second week of the Vuelta Espana and other happenings in the cycling world.
- Is the race grabbing us and making us fall in love with it?
- Are the peloton lazy-assed good for nothings?
- Which top ten rider is actually a made-up person?
- Who do we think is going to win the blooming thing?
- And which rider would be funniest in the young rider’s jersey?
Plus we do actually discuss some real things in the race that we loved and look ahead to the final week – can anyone beat Primoz Roglic?
The Velovoices podcast would be sponsored by Irn Bru if they knew what was good for them.