Stage 11: Collecchio to Savona, 249km
In his first race since being reinstated after his clenbuterol positive, Tinkoff-Saxo’s Michael Rogers attacks on the final descent and time trials his way to an edge-of-your-seat stage win.
A day for the break?
At 249km, it was going to be one long hot day and the lumpy parcours looked ideal for a breakaway to go up the road without a late molestation from the peloton. But that wasn’t on the agenda.
The first 100km were ridden at speed and it took some time for a 14-man break to finally be on their way. The peloton, however, was not in a mood to sit back and there was never more than 5mins between the two groups. Add to that some infighting and cat-and-mousing on the final climb and the break was doomed. After Trek climber Julian Arredondo went on the attack to crest the summit first and sweep up the mountains points, Rogers got clear very quickly on the descent, using his time trialling ability to stay in front for 25km to win a thrilling stage by 10secs. Cadel Evans stays in pink.
VeloVoices rider of the day
It has to be Mick Rogers really, doesn’t it? And he says it best.
It was a spur of the moment. I saw that the team leaders were looking at each other. I saw my opportunity and I took it.
Stage 11 result
1. Michael Rogers (Tinkoff-Saxo) 5:48:07
2. Simon Geschke (Giant-Shimano) +0:10
3. Enrico Battaglin (Bardiani-CSF) same time
4. Wilco Kelderman (Belkin) s/t
5. Gianluca Brambilla (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) s/t
1. Cadel Evans (BMC) 48:39:04
2. Rigoberto Uran (Omega Pharma-Quick Step) +0:57
3. Rafal Majka (Tinkoff-Saxo) +1:10
4. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ag2r-La Mondiale) +1:20
5. Steve Morabito (BMC) +1:31
6. Fabio Aru (Astana) +1:39
7. Wilco Kelderman (Belkin) +1:44
8. Nairo Quintana (Movistar) +1:45
9. Robert Kiserlovski (Trek) +1:49
10. Ivan Basso (Cannondale) +2:01
Points leader: Nacer Bouhanni (FDJ).
Mountains classification: Julian Arredondo (Trek).
Best young rider: Rafal Majka (Tinkoff-Saxo).
Team classification: Omega Pharma-QuickStep.
Links: Official website, cyclingnews.com