After the last few weeks, we at VeloVoices were feeling a bit jaded about all the news from the US. So we decided to revisit why we love the sport in the first place – a renewal of vows, so to speak. Over the course of today, we’ll be posting up our ten reasons why we love cycling. Here is Sheree’s list, in no particular order!
1. Freedom of the road. I can ride when and where I want, including the same roads as the professionals. In fact I get a huge kick out of seeing them race on roads I’ve ridden on.
2. Riding on my own but I’m never lonely as fellow cyclists make a point of acknowledging one another.
3. The friendships I’ve made with all sorts of people connected to the sport.
4. It’s high speed chess on wheels. I love trying to figure out teams’ race and stage tactics – the intrigue, the races within races.
5. I have so much admiration for those competing at the top level in such a tough and dangerous sport for relatively little reward and who make it look so easy, when I know it isn’t.
6. I love hanging around for hours on the finish line chatting to other fans, watching the action unfold on the screen and then seeing the peloton cross the finish line in a technicolor blur.
7. Poetry in motion: Alberto en danseuse, Cav lunging for the line, Cancellara powering around a time trial course, Sky ascending at a set pace, Boonen dominating the cobbles, Samu swooping down a technical descent.
8. Cycling – both watching and riding – has taken me to some wonderful places I might not otherwise have visited.
9. The history and romance of cycling and its sporting superstars such as Fausto Coppi and Jacques Anquetil.
10. It keeps me fit.